[Gpdd] HEALTH - ear infection

grace ramp gracetheface at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 23 10:32:02 EDT 2004

I want to thank all the members for their invaluable advice over the past few months.  We got Porkchop in February and she has been a complete joy.  But last week we noticed that she seemed off and then we saw her listing to her right side and when she ran around on the floor and tried to corner, she would just fall over.  It was very frightening.  Otherwise, she was eating, drinking and pooping normally.  From all the sad postings of piggies going to the Bridge because it was too late to save them, we decided to take her to the vet immediately.  Living in NYC finding an exotic was really easy.  Within an hour we had her at a wonderful vet who checked her out and said she was very healthy, but had an ear infection.  We asked if we had done anything to cause it, but she said that just like small children, young guinea pigs are prone to ear infections.  So Porkchop had piggie vertigo.  The vet said it was good that we got her in as soon as we noticed it because it would only get worse
 and in a few days Porkchop would have stopped eating and that is a real problem.  We got a piggie antibiotic and within 24 hours she was popcorning again.  Thanks to everyone for all the tips and news on the gpdd and the advice that I'm sure helped Porkchop back to health.