[Gpdd] Health: help, my pig is pregnant!

Mariana Siniscalchi msinis1 at yahoo.com.ar
Wed Jun 23 18:08:54 EDT 2004

Hello, my name is Mariana and this is the fist time I post. My masters (Pipa & Pepa) and I live in Buenos Aires, Argentina.
A month and a half ago I saw Pipa in a pet store, and it was love at fist sight. I had been looking for a pet for me for long, and although in the beggining I thought a dog would be the natural choice, when I saw her I didn't doubt.
Before I brought her to my home, I researched a lot in order to be prepared for taking good and care of her (there was when I found gpdd in the web). I knew right from the start that I was a begginer, but a responsible one.
Two weeks after Pipa came to my life, I bought a 'sister' to live with her, which I named Pepa. They are both abies (is it the right spelling? I'm not sure, sorry...)
Cavies aren't very popular in my country as pets, and neither my friends nor my family had a clue about them. I had to endure a lot of silly jokes, and everybody I know still calls them 'rats".
I don't care, because I just love them so much...
About three weeks ago Pipa started to put on weight, and to drink a lot more water than usual. I really felt like an idiot, being a mother myself, when my mother realized last monday that she is pregnant (and ready to burst out!). I went completely crazy, and I have to recognize that I am a lot more worried than if I were to have another baby! Since then I intensified my research about gp's pregnancy, but I am not pretty sure about what to do to help her yet.
I complainted at the pet store for selling a pregnant cavie, but they told me (and I believe them) that they didn't know. Anyway, all I care about is Pipa and her babies safety now. I will help them any way I can. I am extremely worried, and full of doubts: should I separate Pipa and Pepa after the birth? What are the possible dangers?
I haven't found a vet I could really trust. I have the feeling that at least here in Argentina, all they know is about dogs and cats (and maybe horses).
I think the babies will be born in a few days. I will not go to work for the rest of the week.
The thing is, my dear friends, that I need your help. Any piece of advice will be more than welcome!
Thank you, with all my heart.

Mariana, slave to Pepa, Pipa and her children