[Gpdd] [MISC] behavior and diet problems

TeReSa2205 at aol.com TeReSa2205 at aol.com
Sat Jun 26 03:05:30 EDT 2004

hello everyone! first I wanted to announce that I found a rescue REALLY close
to home in southern Indiana and I brought two new girls home with me last
monday (14th). Their names are Lexi who is a adult black abby with a touch of
white on her face and side. Shes a sweet girl that is really laid back and
EXTREMELY over weight. My other girl is Ava, she is 4 months old and had babies
before I got her so she still had alittle baby weight on her but is doing good
now. At first Ava had a real attitude and I had to learn her cues to know what
she wanted. Mia my guinea pig that I have had since december is really quiet and
doesn't fuss at all so I had no idea about "real" guinea pigs I guess. Of
course Mia is my smallest, she is the runt. She is actually SMALLER then the 4
month old. She looks like shes about 2 months but shes really 8 months. Vets say
she is extremely healthy but since she was sick and was on meds at 5 weeks
old, that it could of stunted her growth. I dunno...

Anyways, the questions that I have are about food and behavior...Since Lexi
is on a diet, I have heard different methods to shed those pounds.  The rescue
told me shes probably around three pounds but shes pushing close to 4 1/2
pounds. shes HUGE...Now I was told to give her veggies once a day with unlimited
hay and no pellets till the weight comes down but I feel like shes not getting
enough. Could I feed her twice a day of veggies and unlimited hay with a
little under a handful of pellets? Is it ok to keep pellets from her for a couple
of weeks? They also get about 8 hours of excercise time a day. Also, I noticed
the girls if ya walk up on them too fast or if you stand directly over them or
try and catch them quickly, that they chatter their teeth..Are they angry or
terrified? am i doing something wrong? I started talking softly to them and
moving VERY slowly and it seems to help a bit but I don't want to harm my little
girls. Please someone help!
Sorry this Email is so long!
Sincerely,
Teresa and her masters,