[Gpdd] GPDD: Bladder Stones, Potassium, Etc

Leah McNeil lconsuela at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 28 00:27:51 EDT 2004

Hey Pam,
I don't have any experience with the potassium
problems, but my piggie does have problems with
bladder sludge. I have added and removed various
items into/out of her diet and Nothing seems to
help with the sludge...Sigh! But, I will say that
my Brownie Bear does not drink enough water and
that is really the key to helping piggies flush
those crystals out (so that they don't collect
in there and form bladder stones). So, I have
been syringing B-Bear extra water for quite some
time now and it really does help. The last time
she had x-rays done, there was no sign of sludge
build-up (although she still does excrete bladder
sludge).

Please do keep us posted about your piggie cuz
I am curious to hear more about the high potassium
problems your baby is having. Give your piggie
some Extra Love from Brownie Bear and me..

      Love 'n Wheeeeeeeeeeps,
         Leah...Slave to Brownie Bear :-)

Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone out there would have any
information on the results of the following tests:
liver function, potassium levels, hydration. The
background - my 4 1/2 year old female pig presented
with bloody urine and was diagnosed with a bladder
infection and bladder sludge of calcium oxylate. A
course of enrofloxacin took care of the infection,
but not the sludge. I am already following the
prescribed diet for bladder stones - Oxbow pellets,
Timothy Hay, no spinach, parsley, celery or
strawberries. The second round of testing showed
*more* sludge in the urine, an elevated liver
function, a potassium level of 12 where 8.5 is normal,
and she was also dehydrated, for which I have no
explanation. Clean filtered water is freely available,
always has been. The vet wanted to put her on
potassium citrate to control the bladder sludge, but
obviously we cannot do that if her potassium level is
already this high.

Does *anyone* have any experience with high potassium
levels, and/or bladder sludge for a pig already on a
stone-preventative diet? We are stumped.

Thanks,
Pam