[Gpdd] CARE - Pesky Dripping Water Bottles!

Janelle eythel at worldnet.att.net
Mon Jun 28 17:52:59 EDT 2004

Hi Kathryn,

Don't we just ALL go crazy over those dripping water bottles?  I've tried EVERY brand I can find and they all seem to drip....some more than others!  But 2 years ago my Father came up with a WONDERFUL idea that really works!  I cut about a 2 inch long piece of plastic from a bleach bottle.  It's curved so the water doesn't leak out the sides.  Then I put a heavy bolt on one end.  I put notches on each side and put it 2 rungs down under the spout.  I also tip the plastic down a little.  Then I put a small bowl (like a custard cup) on the outside of the cage so the piggies can't get to the bowl.  So when the piggers drink, or it just drips, the water runs into the little bowl.

So now the bedding stays much drier and it doesn't have "that smell".  I have 4 pigs and only have to empty the bowl once a week.  And I replace the plastic about once a month because it gets too short (they sometimes chew on the end and it gets too short to catch the drips).  You could use other things, besides bleach bottles, but they work great because they're curved.

So you have a simple, easy, cheap way to keep the cage dry, and no smell of wet bedding from the water!

Warm wheeks, Janelle

P.S.  If you don't have a wire cage you'd have to be more inventive!