[Gpdd] FW: RAINBOW BRIDGE: Dukey

GPDD Admin gpdd_admin at gpdd.org
Wed Jun 30 16:09:17 EDT 2004

Hello to All & their Piggies,
Sorry about the length of this mail but it's all come 'pouring' out today,
so I hope you'll understand.

I'm writing this Sunday afternoon, 26th June '04, to announce the sudden
and very sad departure of 'Dukey (Marmaduke) - my "very, very hairy peeeg",
as I used to call him!!

'Dukey was my first piggy and was going to be 3 on 24th November.  I
remember when I first saw the hairy lil' guy in my local Pet Store, in the
days when I didn't know better than to buy from such places!  He took my
fancy immediately but I wasn't entirely sure I wanted a guinea pig at the
time (MY how things have changed!!) so I didn't take him home immediately.

Over a period of around 4/5 weeks I kept being drawn to the store, popping
in to see how he was and whether he was still there.  Originally in a pen
with around 6 other 'piglets', his pen-pals gradually disappeared to new
homes but 'Dukey remained - this hairy little fellow whom no-one seemed to
want???  I don't know WHY 'cause he is, or was, a very handsome fella -
long black, silky hair, with a tan streak down one side of his face and on
his feet.

On my final visit to the store, he was STILL there but with a "Manager's
Special" notice on his pen.  I knew there and then that he was destined to
come home with me because he was still there and I was still there -
'destiny' for sure.  During my 'purchase' I asked the assistant
(reassuringly, a knowledgeable and kind person) why she thought he'd
remained 'til last, as he was so gorgeous.  She reckoned it was 'cause he
was long haired and would need too much attention.  OK

..that was FINE by
me because I was going to be THE one to give it to him and that was that -
'Dukey came 'home' with me at last.  'Dukey's arrival into my heart and
home was a long time coming but I always knew it was right for us both.

Here he's stayed with the rest of 'The Guys', enjoying many a tummy-tickle
with his 'Mum' - a pleasure which he absolutely adored.  He was quite a
sight lying there, on his back, legs akimbo having his tummy stroked!!!  We
definitely enjoyed many, many wonderful moments together over the past 2.5
years. My little 'Wookie' (he looked very much like the character in Star
Wars!).

Up until this afternoon that is, when he made the journey we all dread but
HE needed to take.  However, there is a somewhat bitter twist to 'Dukeys
end and I'm trying hard not to beat myself up over it.  When  'Dukey became
poorly on Thursday I took him to my vet where anti-biotics (Baytril) and a
pain-killer were given.  Unfortunately, a dear friend from my University
days was getting married the next day, Friday, and the occasion had long
been booked in my diary.

My neighbour had already agreed to pop-in and give The Guys their breakfast
on Friday morning and dinner late afternoon, so I knew someone would be
keeping an eye on them all.  However, this was arranged before 'Dukey was
ill and I was VERY worried about leaving him until Saturday afternoon,
without special attention and medication.  I also didn't think it was fair
to leave my neighbour in charge when he was so poorly.

When I took him to the vet on Friday morning, they very kindly offered to
keep him in overnight so they could continue to monitor him and give him
his medication and then I would be able go to the wedding that afternoon.
I REALLY didn't want to go to this wedding as I'd realised that 'Dukey was
now very poorly BUT my partner had already paid for the hotel and it was
obviously a special occasion for my university friend.

PLEASE don't think that 'Dukey wasn't equally 'special' - it's just that I
knew that being at the vets, he was now in the best possible place until I
returned on Saturday afternoon - only 24 hours at the most.

This afternoon when I called the vets, they said that his breathing had
worsened but they'd given him the appropriate medications and he was still
with us, but very ill, although he had nibbled at a piece of carrot.  The
vet, Ellen, so kindly, met me out of hours so I could collect him but I
could see he was VERY, very poorly now - gasping for breath and
wheezing/clicking when he did manage to breathe.  Ellen said that it was
likely that he wouldn't make it over the rest of the weekend and I could
see that.

We agreed a care plan and I took 'Dukey out of his pen to say a big
"hello", gave him a big cuddle and a big kiss on his nosey - I told him he
was coming home now where he could find comfort to recover in his OWN hay,
with his OWN 'friends' around him - Home at last!

On the short drive home, I heard him sneeze, or at least I thought he was
sneezing, and scraping the towel around in his carry-box.  I thought,
"good, he's making himself comfortable".  However, when I got home, having
excitedly talked to him throughout the drive back home, I took him home to
Casa Cavy straight away BUT

..when I went to gently, take him out of
the carry-case, he was limp - it seems he'd already died before touching
'home-hay' again.

I gave him a big cuddle but it was too late.  I REALLY wish he'd made it
'home' to Casa Cavy but he didn't and I have to live with that. More to the
point, he spent his last night away from his friends who have now realised
that 'Dukey has 'left' them.

I am devastated by these events BUT I have to think that my "very, very
hairy peeg" waited for me to return before he took that journey across the
Bridge.  I just feel that I let him down by going away like that but I
thank GOD that I got to kiss and hold the lil' guy one more time, and feel
him nestling under my chin, one more time before he decided to leave us all
behind.

So, 'Dukey's gone to join Little John (the Scragmeister), over the Rainbow
Bridge.  He was my first pig and will ALWAYS have that special place in my
heart!  Rest in peace 'Dukey, there will be many more tummy-tickles to come
when we finally meet again.

Eternal love from your 'Mum', Sarah S.x & your remaining 'brothers' at Casa
Cavy - Tribble, Monty, Tommy & Bramble-pig.  Remembering the
'Scragmeister', Little John, with whom I hope you get on better over
'there', than you did over 'here'!!! LOL!