[Gpdd] RE: Health...emerging paralysis???

Michelle Melaragno doc141melaragno at adelphia.net
Mon Mar 1 20:42:31 EST 2004

Hello,
	I'm writing for advice or info anyone can give me about a
problem I've just begun to notice with one of my boars, Merlin.  He has
started to kind of hop in the back end...both back legs hopping forward
at the same time, instead of independent of each other.  If he is
sitting quietly in my lap, his rear legs are positioned quite a bit
forward and a bit splayed out from what their normal position would be.
At first, I tried to tuck them properly under him, but he put them right
back.  He has been pretty quiet without a lot of activity, though no
changes with eating and drinking.  Tonight, when I got home, he was
lying on his side and seemed to have a hard time getting his back end
under him to get up.  Also, his "top" leg as he lay on his side was
straight out from his body, instead of relaxed and resting on the floor
next to his other leg.  I'm calling my vet in the AM to get an
appointment for him tomorrow.  He is a rescue, and when surrendered, the
owners did give his age...according to that, he is now 4 years old.
I've looked for info in the on-line health pages, and mostly found
paralysis info regarding vitamin c deficiency.  I feed Oxbow Cavy
Cuisine, kale, romaine...doesn't seem to me that he could be c
deficient???  P.G.'s info on paralysis describes an GP dragging its
hindquarters...something that shows up quite suddenly with no prior
symptoms.  He suggests Osteocare...a high dose of calcium 1 ml 2x/day to
start, then decrease dosage.  Within 24-48 hours, mobility begins to
recover and these symptoms are usually not seen in the affected animal
again.  Anyone know if there is such a thing as Osteocare in the US, or
what its equivalent is?  Merlin is bright eyed and has a beautiful
healthy coat.  He is not crying out in pain, but he is obviously not
quite himself.  Please help if you have any ideas for my Merlin.

Thanks,
Michelle Melaragno
Whistle Ridge Guinea Pig Rescue