[Gpdd] re: [CARE] <thank you>

Lauren Cordeiro lauren_cordeiro at student.uml.edu
Mon Mar 1 23:55:29 EST 2004

Hi Glenda
Pyrethrin is an ingredient in a flea and tick spray that I use that is specifically for small animals and guinea pigs. I just looked up the percentage of pyrethrin in the spray, and its 0.6% . I would check any shampoo you use to make sure it doesn't have any more than that percentage in it. Also, I am not sure what other kind of ingredients are in anti-parasite sprays made for cats and dogs, so I might be hesitant to use them before doing some research. There are some regular pyrethrin shampoos that are safe for GPs,, and you should be able to get it through a vet.
Aha! I just went to the guru Peter Gurney's website and he says:
"It is a good idea to bath your guinea pigs at least once every three months in an anti parasitic shampoo. The one I use is Prioderm which is used upon children who get hair lice. I leave it on for about ten minutes than rinse off."
http://www.oginet.com/pgurney/bathing.htm
Huh! That's good to know!
Oh, and one thing about your post struck me- the pet store wouldn't tell you the name of the breeder. I work at PetsMart, and they won't even allow the employees to know the name of their breeders! When I found this out I was very pissed-because obviously they are hiding something! So I do NOT buy my animals from there or from anyone else who won't tell me the name of their breeder, and I try to adopt first anyway. We do take good care of our animals here, but God knows what kind of crappy care they are receiving before we get them - we DON'T know, because they won't tell us! Even sometimes I walk past the cages of the rats and baby GPs and I'm like, oh, just one, I could just take that one home...but I won't anymore. It's not fair to their mother, God knows what they do with her after she's "spent."
Wheeeeeks,
Piglet, Pooh Bear and Lauren

E2-O: This message has been scanned for viruses and dangerous content by UML's antivirus scanning services.