[Gpdd] [CARE] Experience of multi storey hutches with guinnea pigs

Rebecca Jones rj1571 at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Mar 2 07:36:55 EST 2004

Hi All

After much debate I have finally got my 6 year old Rex Daphne 3 new little cagemates.  Only got them on Sunday so they are still segregated with them in half the hutch and Daphne in the other with a mesh divider between so they can smell each other, but not bite.  If anyone has experience of introducing a six year old to babies I would appreciate some tips and advice as I want to get this right.

Down to my main reason for writing.  I currently have a 48 inch by 18 inch hutch which I keep indoors.  This was OK for two gps but will not do for 4.  Babies grow up fast and 4 adults will need a lot of space.  I am limited in actual floor space so making a bigger enclosure like the C&G ones is not an option and I don't want to have to split them into separate hutches so have been looking at either a two or three storey hutch with the ramps.  I was wondering if anyone on this list kept their gps in one of these as I am not convinced that they will handle the ramps well.

If you have had any experience of keeping gps in these multi storey type homes, whether it be good or bad I would be very grateful to hear from you.  I am hoping to go out at the end of this week to look at the options so any advice would be much appreciated.

Beki
Mom to Daphne, and introducing Faith, Hope and Charity the hairy truffle brigade.