[Gpdd] CARE: Herd of Boys

nancy.mckenna at cox.net nancy.mckenna at cox.net
Thu Mar 4 15:33:32 EST 2004

Gillian, thank you for asking about my boys and your effort to keep your three together.

My five boys are a blessing, all were rescue.  Here is what I think will happen with your boys.  While they are young they would get a long very well.  Then, as they get into their "pre-teens" age, they'll get unruley.  One may even hold a grudge for a very long time and you may need to keep him or even all three separated for a few days at a time, then reintroduce them again.  Maybe even weekly.  As they would get older, less bickering about who is the most dominant should diminish.  But then, boys will be boys.

My two younger ones go through tantrums and I have to cage them both in separate cages fairly often.  I have the two cages in my kitchen corner facing out and then I have a little fence making like a yard for them.  In the yard, they have their igloos, toys and food.  They can just go around the fence to get out, and often do.  I also have little "stations" for them in two corners of the living room in case they are out for long.  I have a "doggie door" where they can go out to the back yard when they wish.  Sometimes when my youngest boar is rude, I'll put him outside, just cuz.  By the time he comes back in, he's tired and isn't so annoying to the others.  The three older ones don't need separating nearly as often.  My oldest and biggest, Mr. Rumpy is very sweet and keeps things under control most of the time.  He holds his own amount the wet-behind-the-ears ones and they seeem to respect him.

I like the excitement and hands-on required with them, like mad chases and fights with bites.

Like sometimes Rascal will stand at the fence opening and not let one of the other boys back in that have gone off roaming.  Geez Rascal!  Or worse Chocolate has been known to ambush Rascal as he comes in on his approach.  It doesn't help that Rascal always has to announce his arrival, this makes Chocolate mad.....and on it goes.  The others either cower, chatter and drr, or watch it go on with no interest.  If all else fails, bring out handfulls of parsley, that keeps their teeth busy.  Gotta love 'em!