[Gpdd] BEHAVIOR: Three Boars

DebraStory at aol.com DebraStory at aol.com
Thu Mar 4 18:12:43 EST 2004

Hi Gillian:  In response to your question about keeping boars together - I
have three boars that usually cohabitate peacefully.  Once in a while they have
a minor skirmish.  However, they each have their own house and their own bowl
and water bottle.  It took awhile for them to sort things out when they were
first introduced.  There were a few minor bites, but nothing serious.  I guess
they had to decide who was boss!  Now they seem to get along fairly well most
of the time.  I have a coroplast and cube cage arrangement with three
sections.  Each section has a door through which they can enter the other two
sections.  Sometimes all three will be in separate sections and sometimes they all lay
around together in one section.  Each section has its own house, bowl and
bottle.  I have a small upper level with hay and a bowl in it as well.  So far,
only my "baby" (ten months) will climb up the ramp to the upper level.  I guess
the other two were too old when I introduced an upper layer.  They seem
afraid to go up or down the ramp.  When I first got Pumpkin ("baby") he made me
laugh like crazy.  He loved to jump through all of the doors between sections and
run and skid back and forth between them. He also ran up and down the ramp
over and over again.  He was a riot!  I hope this helps some in your decision to
keep your three boars.  If they are all the same age and/or littermates, you
will probably have an even easier time than I did.  Mine were all introduced
separately and are all different ages.  I saw such a drastic change in behavior
when I got my first pig some company. I didn't know what it was like to have
a guinea pig it seemed.  They love company so much and it is so much fun to
see them interact.  My piggy must have been very lonely at first because he
didn't do much moving around and wasn't very vocal at all.  Now he moves around a
lot and is quite vocal.  If you can manage more than one it is really worth
it.  They are so much fun to watch as they interact with one another.  It is
especially important if you are away from home a lot of the time as I used to be.
 They get quite lonely.  Let me know what you decide to do.  I have mail
controls on, so if you can, please respond to the digest.  Good luck and love to
you and your piggies.  Debra, Patches, Peanut, and Pumpkin.