[Gpdd] re: [HEALTH] <Potter is having surgery>

Lauren Cordeiro petunia_loo at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 4 21:48:24 EST 2004

Hi Deb and Potter,
Geez, I'm glad someone said something, because I wouldn't have even thought about it. I at least know that in rats, their mammary tissue is practically all over their body (!) so they can get breast tumors anywhere... but I haven't heard the same thing for guinea pigs or other rodents. But yes, you should be able to see the nipples on both males and females, right next to their hind legs.
I believe exotic vets are the only way to go, to prevent your guinea pigs from being "guinea pigs" for regular, otherwise good vets.
if you haven't had any luck with the yellow pages, here are some links you might try. They are search directories for vets:
http://petsunlimited.com/cfdocs/vet/searchvet2.cfm
http://www.vin.com/vetquest/index0.html
http://www.altpet.net/vets.shtml
http://www.apapets.com/vetfinder1.htm
http://www.healthypet.com/HP_Findahospital.htm
here's a link to superpages.com, just type in "vet" in the keywords section and select your state... I see actually the name of a vet in Clearwater there!
http://yellowpages.superpages.com/
Best of luck! I hope everything turns out all right,Lauren, Pooh Bear and Piglet