[Gpdd] re: [HEALTH] <gps with a cold>

Lauren Cordeiro petunia_loo at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 8 12:54:10 EST 2004

Hi Beki,
I would agree that you shouldn't introduce the girls to Daphne yet. It sounds like something contagious, and at her age Daphie wouldn't want to battle something like that. I don't have much knowledge on GP respiratory issues, but I know with rats when one has a respiratory problem I have to quaranteen them in a different part of the house. I would wait until the girls are free of symptoms, and not rush to put them together, even though Daphie might love the company. One of my rats recently came down w/ a respiratory infection, and one thing I found is that some echinacea extract might help to ward off respiratory problems. In addition, if you use a litter make sure to replace the litter before it starts to develop that ammonia smell, and use a litter that does not have any phenols or strong scents to it. Also, while the girls are on antibiotics, you might try giving them something to make sure the good bacteria in their digestive system is maintained. You could try yogurt, or that
 benebac stuff they sell in tubes at the pet store, next to the milk supplements for baby animals. I hope this will help,
Lauren, Piglet and Pooh Bear who just peed all over my jacket! Yuck.