[Gpdd] [Misc] Re: Ramps & also advice needed

Toffee & Reese's Mom toffeepig at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 9 10:07:43 EST 2004

Hello all persons & piggies!  How is everypig today?  Good I hope!  I am
writing in response
to the multi-leveled guinea pig cage question.  We have a C&C cage that has
2 levels.  We
have a 16" ramp going from th main floor to the top of a large Link N Lodge
(8" high) and
from there we have a 12" ramp at a 90 degree angle going to the top level.
The 8" is a bit
more than 1/2 way between the levels (it's around 14").  All of these can be
purchased from
TheFerretStore.com.  They don't need quite as much room as you might think.
Toffee pretty
much lives on the top level (more about that in a sec) & always runs up and
down quite well.
Reese lays on top of the Lodge & doesn't usually go all the way up, even
though he can.  The
boys also enjoy leaping from the top of the lodge to the floor of their
cage.  I have pictures
available, so please feel free to email me privately & I'll send 'em right
over.  That goes for
anyone else, too.  I'm still trying to make a website.
Next, I have a small problem with Toff & Rees.  Reese won't be 1 until June,
but he is one
large piggy!  Toffee is rather small for a guinea pig, I think, but he is 2
years old & full grown.
Reese has become a bully & wasn't letting Toff eat, so I bought another food
dish & put it
upstairs for Toff.  Now he lives upstairs most of the time.  He also has his
own water bottle (2
right now actually, 1-8 oz & 1-32 oz) & THE hay rack.  I have the lodge
downstairs for
Reese to sleep in & the bunk bed for Toffee to sleep in.  Wherever Toffee is
sleeping, Reese
has to be & he chases him away.  Toffee was sleeping under the 16" ramp, but
Reese's taken
that over too!  I want to buy a bed for Toffee to have upstairs since the
bunk bed takes up
quite a bit of room up there.  I can buy a smaller bunk bed or a cuddle cup.
  I'm afraid that the
cuddle cup will be pushed around a lot &/or poohed & pottied in a lot more
than I can wash
it.  Has anyone else had a problem with the bed becoming a litter pan?  I am
looking in to
smaller bunk beds so there will be more room to run around under it & still
be big enough for
Toff.  Like I said, Toff is smaller than a lot of other guinea pigs.  Right
now he has a shoe box
:(.  I also have to get another hay rack for fatso, I mean, Reese.  (It's
okay, I'm at work., he'll
never know)  What does everyone think?  Anybody else have an opinion on bunk
bed or
cuddle cup?  Also, how should I go about putting Reese on a diet?  He only
gets 1 baby
carrot/day, pellets & unlimited hay.  Should I put in just some pellets &
manually refill them
when it's gone?  It's an automatic feeder & I usually refill it every 2 or 3
days.  Once their
food has run out, I plan on ordering Oxbow Cavy Cuisine (probably from The
Ferret Store).
Right now we get their food in bulk from a local feedstore.  They make it
formulated for
Guinea Pigs & they have some for rabbits, etc.  The price is great, but if
the Oxbow will help
keep Reese's weight down...  We have probably 10 or 15 lbs left to go
through, so it'll be
another couple months I think.  We store it in an air-tight container.  It's
hard to describe.

Anyways, if anyone wants pigtures or has suggestions/recommendations, please
email me
privately or post to the digest.  Thanks!!

Happy Wheeks to all!
Anna, Toffee & Reese
Eric, Katarina, Sully & the fish
Peter Piggy picked a peck of pickled piggy poo.