[Gpdd] [HEALTH] Hind leg paralysis

DebJonSara at aol.com DebJonSara at aol.com
Tue Mar 9 14:18:52 EST 2004

Sorry to post this so long after the original post seeking advice, but I'm
really behind with my email - 33 animals to care for, and my partner's away
....! Anyway, I just wanted to say that Guinness's first symptom (or at least, the
first my friend noticed) was paralysis of his back legs. When my friend told
me about him I, like you, surfed the Net and found precious little, just the
Vitamin C deficiencty thing and the Peter Gurney thing. Like you, I doubted it
could be scurvy, as he did get a lot of fresh fruit and veg, and their other
piggie ate the same diet but showed none of the same symptoms.

When I got to see him, I noticed he had loast a lot of weight. It is so
important to weigh piggies regularly! Has yours lost weight? In the end, the vet
diagnosed an internal parasite, although I have to say, I never could find any
reference to something called "scrapies" on the Net or in the literature, and
it certainly was not scabies or scrapie. But maybe your exotics vet could worm
him, just in case? The CCT recommend a combination of Ivomec and
Panacur/Valbazen.

Do let us all know how he fares.

Debbie