[Gpdd] CARE: Rodentology Course

DebJonSara at aol.com DebJonSara at aol.com
Wed Mar 10 07:06:39 EST 2004

Regular readers may remember that I signed up for this course last July after
my dear Bâfreur crossed the Bridge because my vet didn't know how to diagnose
or treat his pneumonia. It has proved impossible to find an exotics vet here
in France, so I thought I'd learn as much as I could myself so I could support
my vet, who is very willing to learn and did actually give me all the drugs
recommended by the Cambridge Cavy Trust over the phone - it was just too late
by then.

Anyway, I got the first part of the course - and my heart sank. To pass this
first part, I would have to memorise the entire anatomy of a guinea pig. It is
possible to take the exam for one module at a time, but I couldn't afford to
travel from France to Cambridge that many times - I would need to sit all the
modules at once. And I have tried, but I just can't seem to memorise all that
information - as soon as I think I've mastered one element, I proceed to the
next ... then find I've forgotten the first bit.

The good news is - they issue a newsletter every so often, with all kinds of
useful healthcare tips for guinea pigs - and they have factsheets on a range
of guinea pig care topics which one can buy. Anyone can join, including you all
in the US - they let me join, and I'm in France! The course tutor, Gina
Hayes, has even offered to let me have copies of some of their lecture notes, as
again, I can't actually get to their lectures from here. Maybe you in the US
could ask for the same.

Good luck!

Debbie