[Gpdd] CARE bedding

Bellarobi at aol.com Bellarobi at aol.com
Fri Mar 12 08:04:52 EST 2004

Hello Jason and Maria,
your little piggies sound beautiful.
As far as your bedding question, you probably will get a lot of different
advice and inputs. I have gotten wonderful ideas on the digest, and bedding was
one of them.
Just like you, money doesn't fall of trees in my yard either. Providing a as
natural habitat as possible for my pigs is important to me. I have used Aspen
bedding for many years. It doesn't soak up moisture very well, but it is
basically dustfree and has no smell. I wanted to find a way to safe on costs, so I
was looking for super size bags of Aspen bedding but had a hard time finding
it. I "dared" to buy pine bedding, $ 5.00 at Wal Mart for the big bag. I also
bought an air tight container I store it in, so mice and other creatures won't
find their way in.  I keep the container in my garage.
Anyway, I've been using pine bedding ever since. My piggies do not seem to
have any ill effects because of it, it does not have a strong smell and soaks up
moisture like you wouldn't believe. I also buy Timothy hay at Wal Mart for
under $ 3.00 a bag. I give them plenty each day because not only do they like to
eat it but also like to lay on it...like in nature I like to think....
And while we are at it I am saving bucks on food as well. I had my piggies on
Brownberry pellets for a long time, and like it happens with a lot of other
items I usually buy, my store discontinued the brand. I tried Oxbow in the
past, but both of my piggies would not touch it. So while I was at Wal Mart I
checked out their pellet food, read the labels, and decided to give 8+1 a try. It
seems nutrionally sound and 2 lbs cost under 2 dollars. Little pieces of hay
are mixed in with the pellets, and the pigs think it's the greatest food they
ever tasted.

I hope this helps,
good luck,
Marion