[Gpdd] FW: HEALTH: Possible scurvy in petstore pig dilema

gpdd_admin at gpdd.org gpdd_admin at gpdd.org
Fri Mar 12 08:08:37 EST 2004

This is a forwarded message. Please direct all replies to the sender.

FROM: LAWeaver1 at aol.com

Hi,

I'm mostly a lurker on this list with three of my own piggies, all rescues
(Boris, Eugene, and Mattie). What I'm currently faced with is an extreme
dilema.

I went up to Cheyenne, WY today with my one friend and took a look in the pet
store there to check on the welfare of the small animals. Aside of the fact
they had two adult piggies in with all the rabbits, they had just apparently(so
they said) gotten in a shipment of young pigs, one of which was apparently
extremely sick. It was so lethargic it just sat in my hand, and it's eyes and
nose were crusted over with yellow goo. I brought it to the attention of the
store personal, and got two different stories from each of them.

The girl who talked to me last just mumbled about that they needed some vitamin
c and threw cut up orange chunks in the cage with them, then grabbed the little
pig from me and took him in the back to give him some orange juice. She was
extremely rude, and I have no doubt that the little pig is going to be put out
on the floor tomorrow for sale again. I've pretty much decided I'm driving back
up to cheyenne again tomorrow by myself and buying the litttle pig, then taking
him to the vet so he can get some much needed medical care. My question is, am
I doing the right thing? I'm able to quarrantine him from my others, and I
can't stand the thought of him staying sick (he's also an albino pig, so his
chances of finding a home seem bleak as most people look for colored ones), but
at the same time should I just report the store and hope for the best? It
grates on me to support the store when there's homeless piggies, but at the
same time...

Opinions? feel free to email me. I'm probably going to head to the mall first
thing tomorrow, (he's at the Pet City store in there) and just get him as soon
as the mall opens at 10 am.

Lynette