[Gpdd] re: [CARE] <bedding>

Lauren Cordeiro petunia_loo at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 13 22:01:20 EST 2004

Hi Jason and Maria,
I hope Princess is doing well with her pregnancy! Keep us posted about how she's doing! Just one thing about that, make sure before Princess is due that you have a seperate living area for Creampuff, as it is possible for Princess to become pregnant right after giving birth and I don't think that is ideal for them. Anyway, about the bedding-there is really no 'perfect' bedding. The most debateable is pine, some use it and say it's fine, others say that the phenols may cause respiratory problems. Just in case, I tend to stay away from it. Cedar is absolutely horrible. Carefresh and CellSorb are soft and absorbant, but expensive. I put a layer of Aspen, hemp, or other hardwood* shavings underneath a layer of Carefresh, and together it keeps the cage clean and odor-free without totally breaking the bank! Almost ANY bedding can potentially block the digestive tract if eaten - so try to be sure your pigs have an unlimited supply of hay so they chew on something good.
(*HARDwood does not have the same phenols as SOFTwood does. Softwoods are woods from evergreens/conifers, like spruce, cedar, pine, etc. Hardwoods are everything else, like oak, maple, aspen, poplar etc.)

Hope to hear more about your piggies soon!
Piglet, Pooh Bear and Lauren