[Gpdd] [health] - parasites....

Bob & Chris Robertson rssg at earthkink.net
Mon Mar 15 10:17:17 EST 2004

Hello all-

I hope this is posted, as nothing I have written in the past few months has
made it though.  Spookie has been dealing with parasites in her digestive
system.  We had her on meds and cleared them up and then last week it was
back to the vet for a stool slide because her stool was very soft.  We have
determined the source of these parasites is the grass from our yard I was
cutting and bringing in.  Apparently the parasites are carried by pigeons
and other birds.  When their droppings dry the spores are carried in the
wind and land on the grass where they stay until they are ingested by a pet
(dog, cat, cavy, etc.)  She is on her third day of meds and symptoms are
correcting, but she loves grass and now I am not sure if I should even let
her play in the yard on the weekend when we are outside.  Poor girl, but
thank goodness it is something that can be treated.

Chris, Cleo & Spookie (PS for some reason Cleo's doesn't host the parasites,
as she eats the same grass - go figure)