[Gpdd] Gpdd [CARE]

DebJonSara at aol.com DebJonSara at aol.com
Tue Mar 16 10:35:04 EST 2004

Hi Jessica

I'll bet you'll be bombarded by emails like this one, but just in case
everyone else thinks everyone else will reply to you - PLEASE don't expect your
piggie to use an exercise wheel or one of those big plastic balls - not even if it
says on the ball it is intended for guinea pigs. Guinea pigs are not made
like mice and rats and hamsters, and they can permanently damage their backs if
you put them in an exercise wheel or ball.

Why can't you just let her run around free in a room in your house for a
while? ~Just make sure no predators can get her, and that there are no places she
can hide where you cannot reach her. Or you could make a wire run, with a lid,
and put it out on your lawn. Best of all, why not get her a piggie companion
to play with - that would make her move around more. Try to adopt one from
your nearest guinea pig shelter if you can - and DO make sure she is female as
well!!

I can't imagine a guinea pig walking on a leash - I would think the danger of
strangulation was pretty severe. And how couold she ever "popcorn" when tied
up like that?

I love watching my 13 piggies run around loose in the room - they play chase
and make lovely happy noises.

Hope you enjoy your piggie - but please don't treat her like a hamster!!

Wheeks from my 13 "dolly mixtures" (piggies of no specific breed!)

Debbie