[Gpdd] [ANNOUNCE] <New Guinea Pig Owner!>

Margi Grant mgrant1 at san.rr.com
Wed Mar 17 12:55:56 EST 2004

Hi AF,

Have you looked at the info on cavycages.com yet?  Lady will appreciate
a large cage where she can get exercise.  She would also like a small
house / pigloo where she can hide if she wants (classrooms can be pretty
hectic).  What will you do on weekends/holidays?  Piggies need daily
care -- fresh water, fresh greens, etc.  Ideally you will take her home
-- I've heard horror stories of piggies sent to student's homes for the
weekend.

Make sure her water bottle is working right.  Offer fresh greens such as
romaine or other green leaf lettuces (not iceberg).  Green pepper is
good, very small amount of carrot, spinach, etc.  If you feed the
veggies soaking wet Lady will get some of her water that way.  Piggies
need lots and lots of good quality hay as their main food.  If Lady is
young, give her alfalfa hay; if she's an adult give her timothy hay.
Unlimited quantities are best, with a guinea pig pellet food as a
supplement.  Guinea pigs don't produce their own vitamin C, so a tablet
or liquid vitamin C supplement given daily can prevent scurvy.

There are several good options for bedding; you may need to use trial
and error and find what's best for you.  Just never put Lady in a cage
with a wire bottom or on cedar bedding.

This site is great for info.  So is guinealynx.com    A search of the
archives will yield many hits for info on food, cages, and bedding.

Congrats on the new piggy,

Margi