[Gpdd] Re: Care: Pregnant sow with mites.

ADCAVY at aol.com ADCAVY at aol.com
Thu Mar 18 12:35:27 EST 2004

Hi Everyone,

Jason please have your pregnant pig checked out by the vet. Untreated skin
problems can deteriorate quickly as can the health of your pig if left
untreated. There is also the probability that the babies will pick up an infestation
when they are born. Selnick mange mite can be fatal as it burrows into the brain
and causes fitting and sometimes even death.

Some pregnant sows have hormonal hair loss while pregnant and after the
birth. But as mites cause dreadful itching, guinea pigs can become very depressed,
distressed and ill if left without treatment.

Please find a knowledgeable vet, at times, in some cases, chemicals of some
sort are a must. We shampoo our pigs with head lice shampoos approved by the
Cambridge Cavy Trust and Peter Gurney to kill mites or prevent infestations. We
rescue quite a lot of  pigs and some are pregnant with skin problems. These
are treated by shampooing and the use of Ivermectin, again recommended by Peter
Gurney and the C.C.T.We have never had one die or lose a litter. The C.C.T
carries out the vast majority of research into safe treatment for guinea pigs so
I am happy to follow their advice. Check out their website and Peter Gurney's
site which deals with all ailments guinea pigs are prone too.

Good luck, I Hope you find a good vet in your area. Perhaps other slaves have
had a similar problem and can advise.

Best Wishes, Antoinette and the magic 60.