[Gpdd] Care: Using plastic trash bags as liners (piggies like to try to eat it!)

Algernon07 at aol.com Algernon07 at aol.com
Sun Mar 21 02:21:53 EST 2004

Hi --
       I cut open and used large plastic trash bags under The Three Jolly
Rodents cages at first but then learned that little bites of this thin plastic
from such bags can lodge in their tiny intestines and that any the problem
caused by this might not show up for quite a while. Apparently such plastic may
stick and stay put then only eventually contribute to some kind of blockage. (Not
to fear -- it is NOT an inevitable thing.)
       I know that my guys have all had at least a couple of small bites of
this filmy plastic. It's been probably 16 months since I used it so I hope that
no problems ever come of it, but I advise everyone to keep plastic bags away
from their piggies. Even the packages that some foods and hays come in can
cause trouble. Add to that the filmy little bags that stores use. Keep them out
of reach of pigs and their homes, condos, cages, etc., and be sure that other
people do as well. It's so easy to set a package down beside a cage.

Alge  (and the "Three Jolly Rodents")