[Gpdd] [Care] lice and itching

Heather Cougar heather.cougar at simmons.edu
Mon Mar 22 14:14:51 EST 2004

The injection usually given for lice is Ivermectin (also known
sometimes as Ivomectin or Ivomec). When Niles had lice, he got
3 shots each one week apart. The multiple shots are to kill any
lice which may have hatched since the previous. There seemed to
be no side effects, other than the unpleasantness of getting a
shot. Some vets may recommend only 2 shots, and Niles' lice did
appear to be gone after the second, but personally I felt safer
with the third just to be sure. I'd rather pay for an extra
shot the first time than a whole second course later!

Heather (and Niles)