[Gpdd] [HEALTH] urinery Infection

Heather Cougar heather.cougar at simmons.edu
Mon Mar 22 14:25:50 EST 2004

I've never dealt with an infection in my pig before (knock
wood) but I can definitely say that the first thing to do is
that if your vet is behaving as if your pig is "just a rodent",
then *get a new vet* ASAP. That's shameful.

Your pig may need a different antibiotic or dosage if she's not
responding (a vet who doesn't know enough about pigs to see
them as more than just a rodent may not have prescribed the
right one!), and you also need to make sure she is getting pro-
biotics, acidophilus or yogurt with live cultures to keep her
gut flora healthy. Even feeding her poops from one of your
healthy pigs, unpleasant as it may sound, will help accomplish
this.

What is your geographic location, so maybe someone can refer
you to a different vet?

Heather (and Niles)