[Gpdd] Care: Bedding

Susan Glancy sglancy at pinn.net
Tue Mar 23 08:46:09 EST 2004

Hi!

I recently switched back to kiln dried pine bedding b/c I noticed one of
my pigs chewing on the towel bedding.  Now, I have seen both of them
eating the pine chips!!  Help!  Then I researched the bedding options on
the internet and most all of what I read recommends not using pine (even
kiln dried pine) b/c of the harmful phenols.  I know this is probably a
topic that has been discussed before on the digest but I couldn't find
much in the search topic section of gpdd.  I would like to know all of
your thoughts on using pine and also the effects of ingesting the pine on
the piggies.  Is there any type of bedding pigs do not generally eat -
that is affordable as well?  Thanks for your help!
Sue & the "munching" pigs