[Gpdd] HEALTH> re: Dutchess lump

Jenni jenni at beethoven.com
Tue Mar 23 09:19:22 EST 2004

Just for some info:  My piggy beethoven had a lump on his hind upper leg
that got bigger...and I was freaked out...whee have a good exotics vet here
that doesn't believe in milking $$ out of ya and does just what is necessary
without extra tests to jack up the bill...well, he inserted a needle and
tried to pull stuff out of the lump...(he said cancerous lumps are usually
hard and attached to something)...when that didn't work, he squeezed the
lump, and lo and behold! a waxy chunk came out!  Not cancerous!!!  He said
it was a sebacious cyst (blocked oil gland)...whee had it resqueezed 1 or 2
more times and it's been fine since!! and a very cheap bill!  Once in a
while I squeeze the area and remove any waxy discharge...he didn't have to
anesthestize Beethoven for this...of  course, Beethoven didn't like it very
much, but if what needs to be done is done quickly and then lots of cuddling
and treats afterwards and plenty of rest, the piggy should not be stressed
too much!
I hope Dutchess' lump is just a clogged gland also, chances are it is, since
they have oil glands back there...please let me know how it goes...part of
the responsibility of owning a pet is being able to take it for vet care if
needed, fortunately piggys seem to stay pretty healthy with good care...but
they should be allowed proper veterinary care just like any other animal if
needed.  Your parents don't seem very compassionate towards gentle
beings...that's a shame...but you can show your respect and love for a
little life that is BIG on love by doing what is necessary, they depend on
you...warm wheeks to you and good luck!!   --Jenni and Beethoven