[Gpdd] Re: CARE: Yams and Potatoes

BunsnPigs at aol.com BunsnPigs at aol.com
Tue Mar 23 19:11:57 EST 2004

In a message dated 3/23/2004 11:43:00 AM Eastern Standard Time,
Gpdd-request at gpdd.org writes:
I think potatoes are ok as long as they are cooked. I know that you have to
be careful not to let them eat the little buds that can start to grow off of a
potato.
White Potatoes are very BAD for guinea pigs, cooked or raw. They are high in
starch/carbs and don't metabolize well in guinea pigs. Plus, potato skins and
eyes -- they can be very high in oxalic acid. Some web sites say they can be
toxic to guinea pigs!

There are so many things they can eat.. please don't feed them potatoes!

Judi Lainer
Metropolitan Guinea Pig Rescue
Springfield, VA
http://www.mgpr.org

Educator-in-Training, House Rabbit Society
MD/DC/NoVA Chapter
http://www.rabbitsinthehouse.org