[GPDD] [Health] urinary infection

Renee Roszkowski rrgallop44 at mindspring.com
Wed Mar 24 21:37:28 EST 2004

I would suggest doing an x-ray. I have heard of dogs and cats getting a
uterine infection called pyometra. Pus accumulates in the uterus. It is
a very bad infection. If it is that, a hysterectomy needs to be done
immediately!!! That is necessary. An x-ray can most likely show any
uterine abnormalities and an accumulation of pus if it is there. I know
dogs and cats can get sick and die from this in a matter of days. I'm
not saying that's what it is, but it is a possibility from what you
describe. If your vet is unfamiliar with piggie anesthesia, if surgery
is necessary, have them call a veterinary school for help. Also, some
veterinary books have information on this. Piggies are considered higher
risk for surgeries, but they can come through ok. It is not necessary to
fast your piggie before surgery!!! (Your vet may say this because it is
necessary for dogs and cats.) They can't vomit and because of their
digestive tract physiology, going without food for a long time can be
detrimental. At the most, I would say that removing the food an hour
before the surgery to ensure that there are minimal particles in the
mouth to aspirate would be acceptable. The piggie should get pain
medication and food right away after surgery. I hope it is not this, but
it could be another possibility to look for. Good luck.

Renee, Mary and Molly, Patches, Kate and Dora, Flash