[Gpdd] HEALTH: stone prevention

Luita Spangler luitad at zedat.fu-berlin.de
Thu Mar 25 05:23:42 EST 2004

Hello everyone:

I was startled when I read Leah's advice about cranberry juice - good
for UTIs but bad for stone formation. Having lost Cassandra to failed
kidneys from her years of having chronic, untreated UTIs (she was a
rescue - her previous owners apparently didn't think she was worth
taking to the vet. Grrr), I have been giving both Bert and Ernie
preiselberry juice every morning (Germany doesn't have cranberries, but
I have been told that preiselberries have the same effect, both for
humans and animals, and are equally high in vitamin C). Ernie hates the
stuff and will only take 1 cc under protest, but Bert thinks it's the
best thing since sliced bread, and happily swigs down 3-4 syringes full
at a sitting. Is this really true about stone formation? They are on a
preiselberry ban until I hear something about this. Thanks for your
help.

Luita
Bert and Ernie