[Gpdd] HEALTH - Excessive Drinking Water

Patricia Simon patriciasimon at shaw.ca
Sat Mar 27 10:15:02 EST 2004

A number of things can cause excessive thirst:
1) warm or dry living conditions
2) any type of infection (urinary, respiratory)
3) bladderstones -- the piggie drinks more in an attempt to flush them out
4) diabetes  -- 2 of our piggies are diabetic so I know that this can
happen, though it is much less common than infections or stones

On the "not likely but remotely possible" front, our Hazel has a number of
very unusual health conditions (e.g., ulcers, repeated tumor growth).  She
drinks a lot, no doubt as a result of these strange problems.

An experienced GP vet will be able to help you find out what, if anything,
is wrong with your piggie.  Then you can decide on treatment options.

Patricia