[Gpdd] [MISC] Protesting mistreatment, etc.

Susan Eastin susan at boatlift.com
Mon Mar 29 17:40:40 EST 2004

Laura, Pablo and All
Yes, complain, but to whom?  One thing that seems
to get the most reaction is to go public. Our local
tv stations are always airing situations that would
probably never have been changed if it hadn't gone
public. It not only helps that one person in his
situation, it is probably a very good preventive
action.  The public has to be educated - I would
guess that most of them aren't reading this digest.
The more people who become aware of the facts, the
more likely it is that things will change. And be
sure you are stating facts, not just coming across
as emotional. (like, the number of pigs in a bag)
People are not so willing to stand for abuse of
innocent animals any more. As long as it doesn't
sound like some crazed animal rights activists
wanting to raid the labs (sorry, I don't mean to
make light of that, but that is how some people
see that).
Probably every area has some similar situation, so
we should all get involved in this. Last summer I
went with my son to a flea market in east Tulsa to
get a ferret for his daughter, and there were a
couple of guinea pigs there in a cage. (as well as
mice, and snakes, and lizards - not all in the same
cage, of course, but he had a variety) He saw us
looking at the guinea pigs and tried to get us to
buy them. When I told him I already had two and
couldn't take any more, he tried a different approach.
He said if I didn't take them, they would probably go
to someone for snake food. I kind of joked with him,
like that was so terrible, no one could do that, and
left. I hope I was right, but it just shows that it
probably goes on everywhere. It probably needs to
be written into a law somehow to have any teeth.
I know there are those of you out there who know
how this needs to be done, so let us know.
Susi for the OP's and All GP's