[Gpdd] (Health) Re: Whiskers/Jasper and a Question

Stacy Harvey ckrtsqrl2000 at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 29 20:55:50 EST 2004

Kelly,
Does the bump on Whiskers' bum feel like a knot or
raised area or something? How big is it? Does she act
like she's in pain when you touch it? If so, you
probably should take her to the vet to rule out
anything serious.

Donna,
The extra "skin" on Jasper's footpad is sometimes
called a spur. I'm not sure exactly what it is made
out of, but I do know that it's not uncommon for pigs
to get them, and it's not due to unsanitary
conditions. I have 3 pigs that get them, and I just
clip them as close to the skin as possible with nail
clippers. It doesn't hurt your pig, and it's better to
clip it off than have it get caught on something and
tear the skin- which can lead to infection.

Now I have a question- I was examining my little
newbie pig Pinkerton on Saturday, and I natoiced an
alarmingly large sore on his right front leg, near the
shoulder. I took him to the vet, and he was as
perplexed as I am...he checked for mites and ringworm,
which came up negative. Pinky is in with another male,
but they are both very mellow pigs and do not fight.
The vet ruled out a bite also. I got some antibiotic
and an appoinment to go back to the vet's in 10 days.
Has anyone had this happen before? Should I be
worried? Pinky is not even three months old, and I am
so afraid that it's cancer or something--I am NOT
ready to lose my little baby. Other than the sore,
Pinky is acting like a normal little pig; he's eating
and drinking and popcorning around like baby pigs do.
If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.

Stacy and the Squee Squad
(Gizmo, Max, Serendipity, Maxine, Teddy, Oscar,
Williepig and Pinkerton)
Remembering always Cosmo, Gita and Felix