[Gpdd] RE: MISC...SURVEY

Michelle Melaragno doc141melaragno at adelphia.net
Mon Mar 29 21:04:09 EST 2004

Hi Marion,
	Wish I'd had a chance to reply before now.but I guess late is
better than never!  I have had animals all my life.mice, rats, hamsters,
cats, dogs, horses, geese, sheep, rabbits, chickens, goats.hope I didn't
leave anyone out.  Not until about 2 years ago did I ever have guinea
pigs, and I'm so upset with myself for spending 34 years WITHOUT them!
I've been involved with the local animal shelter for more than 20 years,
and have somehow never come home with a guinea pig!  Since having them
join the rest of my "critter crew" I have absolutely fallen in love with
them!  Of course, that's why I started the rescue also.  I currently
have 16, and just received a call to take in two more, so 18 will be the
tally in a few days.  I have learned a lot about them in this short
time, continue to learn more daily, and have decided I will NEVER be
without them!  I have included them as wonderful participants in my
Animal Assisted Therapy program, and concentrate on evaluating guinea
pigs for placement into Humane Education and AAT programs if
appropriate.  They are wonderful and amazing therapy animals!  I work
with young boys in state custody, and haven't seen the nurturance and
cuddling exhibited from the boys when they are interacting with other
animals.  The GP's calm even our most ADHD kids.the boys transformed
into compassionate, gentle caretakers of these little creatures.
Wonderful to observe, and brings tears to my eyes every time!  Hope this
provides some good stuff for you.and I can give more specific info if
needed!  Thanks for the chance to brag about my babies!

Michelle Melaragno
Whistle Ridge Guinea Pig Rescue
576 Trapp Road
Auburn, ME 04210