[Gpdd] [HEALTH] <acidity and stones>

Lauren Cordeiro petunia_loo at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 29 22:45:04 EST 2004

I was thinking about the recent debate over the acid in cranberry juice and stones. I remember someone said that the increase in acidity in the urine caused by the cranberry juice over a period of time could contribute to the formation of bladder stones, although that has not really been proven. That's why I'm wondering if perhaps putting other acidic foods in GPs diet, like vinegar, might not also have the same effect. I know that a lot of people put a bit of vinegar into the water bottles to help prevent the build-up of bacteria, which seems like a great idea. But I wonder if maybe it would be better to just use the vinegar when you are washing the bottles instead of putting it in the actual water. But then again, because apparently no one has done sufficient research on guinea pig health problems, you don't know what amount of acid in their diets is enough to potentially contribute to a stones problem, or if it even has an impact at all. I'd be interested in hearing what other
 people think.

Lauren, Piglet and Pooh Bear