[Gpdd] [HEALTH] <acidity and stones>

Susan Eastin susan at boatlift.com
Tue Mar 30 16:11:33 EST 2004

Hi Lauren-
I don't know where the research may lead on acidity levels and
cranberry juice, etc (or if there even is any research, at least
as far as our piggies are concerned). One thing I've noticed over
the years, is that often someone will get an idea that something
will have a certain effect, good or otherwise, and either make
statements or even conduct a bit of research to support their
view. They say you can prove just about anything if you go about
it in the right way. Anyway, oftentimes these studies are a bit
lopsided, whether intentional or not, resulting in sometimes
false or incomplete findings. i.e., many years ago we were told
not to eat eggs, or severely limit our intake, as they contributed
to high cholesterol (same thing with fats). Eventually, someone
figured out that if you ate the whole egg, the two parts worked
together for a beneficial result. (or, saturated vs. unsaturated
fats).  OK, this is oversimplified, but I have seen so many debates that go
from one extreme to the other.
My mother was a nurse and studied nutrition in depth, and came
across a lady named Adele Davis who in the 40's and 50's did
extensive research, writing several books ("Let's Get Well", etc.).
Many of the findings were laughed at or contradicted by the medical
profession for years, but now studies are proving them right. Gee.
Anyway, I know that cranberry juice has been recommended for many
years and apparently helps. Most likely this is one of those "all
things in moderation" things; don't overdo it. And if one tends to
developing stones, for instance, you would need to have even less.
(altho' I would want to see what else might be going on)-not everyone
is able to take medicines normally given for a given condition.

The vinegar thing is apple cider vinegar, which is beneficial for
many things. It is for health benefits, and keeping the water bottle
is just a side benefit. (if you are just using it to clean, you can
use just plain, white vinegar)  Check out the Apple Cider Vinegar
info online. This has been handed down for generations, and is one
of those things that our grandparents used, and we all laughed at for years.
And now we've re-discovered it.
I don't mean to come across as being argumentative or anything here.
I just feel this is one of those things that we usually just get
part of the information, so then we can't make an intelligent, informed
decision.
And if I had a piggy who was prone to forming stones, I doubt that I
would be giving them something that might contribute, even if it was
beneficial in another area. (at least not without a lot of further
investigation)
Loving wheeks and good health to all~
Susi and the OP's