[Gpdd] Re: Misc. The sad truth of an impossible question

Off1Knight at aol.com Off1Knight at aol.com
Wed Mar 31 01:31:31 EST 2004

Recently, through entries in the GPDD and conversations, the issue of feeding
guinea pigs to snakes be them alive or frozen. Even as I type this the
thought of either makes me sick. The thought of feeding them alive to a snake or any
other animal goes far beyond he realm of humanity. The other method would
require putting our most beloved of all pets (more on the order of a family
member) to sleep by one means or another. NONE of which I could come close to
finding preferable. To add insult to injury, those that would deliver our little
miracles to the final end, I am SURE, use the most economical means as can be
found to do this. I wish I had even a glimmer of hope to answering this question
but I can honestly see none without taking the life of one of our little guys
or the life of a gerbil, a hamster or a mouse. I do not KNOW if a snake can
survive on other then live food and am presuming that it is not the case. Just
as WE defend the lives of guinea pigs, so would the owners of a snake. If we
hold a snake with any less value than we hold our little guys, then WE are
wrong. Maybe the true problem is that nature never intended for either to be
possessed by humans. (AGAIN I SAY THIS believing that snakes require mice, rabbits
guinea pigs and several other small animals since in my limited research MOST
require their natural foods) To bury our heads in the sand is certainly not an
answer and allowing a snake to die for lack of food is as wrong as not
feeding out beloved little guys. If there IS an answer I could even venture, it
would be to prohibit the ownership of snakes that REQUIRE live or previously
frozen food. I did find SOME that do ear insects. Would this stop it...NO there
would still be those who would own them and still feed them their natural diet?
So in closing this sad issue, I can only say be thankful for your little ones
and love them like there IS no tomorrow and for those that meet the untimely
end which has brought tears to my heart, include them in your prayers. I only
wish I had the answer.

Sincerely,

Joseph C. Petrillo, George the guinea pigs daddy