[Gpdd] [CARE] <Melvin and Paige>

Lauren Cordeiro petunia_loo at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 31 12:50:05 EST 2004

Hi Melvin and Paige
Welcome to the GPDD! My gps, unlike my rats, sometimes use their water bottle by grasping the sipper part between their teeth and shaking it violently. It's kind of funny to watch, actually. But the water does tend to drip and splash. Sometimes I put a towel or extra bedding underneath it to help absorb. However, there shouldn't be mold growing anywhere in the gps cage. This can be bad if the spores are inhaled. If you see this start to buildup, clean the cage thouroughly, and perhaps more frequently.

The same thing happens when I put pipes in my gps cage. So I try to bury it a little bit in bedding to help absorb, and also I wipe it clean every day. You could always use boxes or oatmeal containers, which you could throw away after a few uses.

As far as keeping him entertained, have you considered getting Melvin a companion? My piggies love to play together and talk to each other. They have their occasional spats, but they get over it quick. Hey, that's life! ;) You might try leaving some music on low volume during the day. My piggies seem to like Beethoven.

Good luck with your baby pig!
Lauren, Pooh and Pgirl