[Gpdd] RE: Health: Bladderstones,apologies to Leah

texg at cavyinfo.com texg at cavyinfo.com
Wed Mar 31 14:25:12 EST 2004

Leah,

Apologies - I picked up on the thread in the middle. I had no idea
you had made comments about cats, etc.!

My comments weren't directed towards you, but as a general statement
that all of us have a tendency to try and draw parallels between
guinea pig physiology and other species, and that can have negative
results. In some cases, there *are* parallels, even in the case of
stones: some research in humans has shown that excessive vitamin C
can lead to kidney stones re-forming; this has been suspected in
guinea pigs as well - as mentioned in my last post.

I'm glad to hear that Brownie Bear is doing well! I don't know if I
mentioned: my Sweetie Pigg has joined the Stones list too: she passed
a calcium carbonate stone while being examined for other problems
(UTI and ovarian cysts) on February 13.

The vet made an interesting - and somewhat hopeful - comment: in his
experience, females seem to form only one stone at a time. And, there
is also a chance that the stone may be able to be removed without
surgery.

Tex