[Gpdd] Big Red's obit - maybe

Kskosich at aol.com Kskosich at aol.com
Tue Nov 2 16:43:50 EST 2004

I have posted tributes to Big Red a couple of times in the last  eight years
when I thought he was near death, but he managed to hang in there  and
recover. I am hoping this week will be the same way.  Yesterday when I  got home from
work Red had not eaten or passed much waste or moved around  much.  I gave
him some pain medication and took him to the vet this  morning, thinking he had
a stone and would have to be put down.  The  X-ray did not show any stones or
cancer, but he has some gas and some  arthritis.  No temperature or infection,
it seems, so he is on prednisone  and felt well enough to eat some greens
this afternoon.

So, Red, here is your write up, just for good luck:  Red was born  eight
years ago on election eve.  His mother was Rexie, who was supposed to  be a boy
piggie.  But, she became very shapely and grew long  layered hair and produced
twin sons.  Red's brother was Rusty.  Red  has red eyes and thick, rough
coppery Abyssinian hair that fans out all around  his body.  He is stocky and has a
broad, lion-like face.

Red is curious, but very docile; he's the only piggie we've had who stands
still and lets people pet him.  He was a great favorite at show and tell  when
the kids were little.  Red and Russ were quite wild when they were  little and
threw middle of the night parties.  Red got away from me in the  garden one
time but did not run away.  When I found him he looked at me as  if he thought
it was a great joke.  He always looked very wise.

Red, I hope you are going to get better.  I know you are getting very  old
now and it may be time for you to join your mother and brother at the  Rainbow
Bridge.  It has been a joy having you around for eight years.

On a lighter note, when we got home today, I could not find Beatrice in her
hutch.  After a moment of panic, I realized she was hiding in a corner  under
some towel scraps.  Bea knows that when the guinea pig carrier comes  out,
it's not good news.  --Kathy S