[Gpdd] MISC - All sorts of happy thoughts.....

Nicola Atkins sunnyhunny964 at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 4 17:35:21 EST 2004

Hi All!!

It's been a while (again!) but once again I am back to stick my oar in!

A quick note to Samantha first - it is 100% possible for a baby boy piggie
to get a female pregnant. They say the optimum time to seperate baby piggies
from their mother is six weeks, and for the most part that worked fine for
us when we were breeding them (back in my old home town!), BUT one of my
piggies gave birth to four babies and before six weeks' were up, one of HER
babies had unfortunately gotten her pregnant again straight away. We felt
terrible when we found out, but what on eart can you do? Seperate the babies
from their mother before they're properly weaned? It's a nightmare. Anyway,
she gave brith to the babies fine, and only one of them had any defects of
any kind (the 'runt' of the litter - it only had three legs sadly - and
sadly he passed on almost straight away). I'm not sure if it was healthy for
her to have more babies in such quick succession though, as a few months
later she passed over the bridge too. I know I'm a bit late with this info,
but that's me all over for you - disorganised to distraction!

A question for all of you piggie lovers! Does anybody know a good mail order
firm that does good guinea pig toys, or even one that delivers to the UK? I
really want to get my Harvey some great toys for Christmas, but
unfortunately, pet shops in the UK have little or no choice for piggie toys
whatsoever. Yey you guys seem to have pigloo's and all manner of great toys,
and I really want to get my boy something special for Christmas. I hope
somebody can suggest somewhere or somebody good (and reasonably priced!!!)

Finally, I gave my Harvey a bath the other day, and for the first time, I
used shampoo on him. He had been itching a little and seemed a little
irritated, and it had been quite a while since his last plain-water bath, so
I thought I'd try a shampoo-bath and see how we got on. I used a
good-quality human anti-dandruff shampoo, because I read in the Guinea Pig
Lopaedia that it's fine to use good quality human shampoo on a piggie, and
we got on pretty well with it actually! I washed it out really thouroughly,
of course, and it actually seems to have lessened up the itching, so maybe
he had a spot of dandruff? I'll give him another bath in a month or so, and
I think I'll try that again......

Wheeeeks to all!
Harvey the biter and his mad mama!