[Gpdd] [Health] <RE: Skin Condition>

petunia_loo at yahoo.com petunia_loo at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 9 13:24:12 EST 2004

Not "allergic" to mange mites? Sounds like you need a
new vet... Mange is a parasite, not an allergy...
Definitely get Jimmy in for an injection ASAP,
especially if he's scratching and squirming and losing
hair. Mites can be very painful. Make sure they both
get follow-up injections one week after their first
and another week after that. The ivermectin should do
the trick for the mites, you should not normally need
more anti-parasite shampoos. When one of my pigs was
given ivermectin, my vet said I should start to see a
noted improvement in about a week. It takes longer for
the hair to grow back though.
Skin scrapings are often false negatives - as was with
my Peanut pig - and besides they are painful. Even
though the skin scraping did come out negative for
Peanut, he was treated with ivermectin anyway and he
cleared up. I would avoid it myself next time, but
then again it's up to everyone and their vet to
decide.
Just be cautious because mites are transmittable to
people and other animals. Luckily they can not live
long off of a host, but for the first week of
ivermectin treatment with my boys, my vet told me to
change their bedding daily. Also, my vet told me not
to put anything topical on any of their scabs because
they will likely just lick it off and that can cause
problems.
I hope this helps. It sounds like you know what to do
for your pigs but your vet failed to deliver! Best of
luck to them.
~Lauren, Piglet and Pooh, and foster boys Peanut and Cookie

=====
EACH YEAR in the United States, MILLIONS of healthy companion animals are euthanized simply because they can not find homes.
Adopt a homeless pet.
Become a foster home.
Have your cats and dogs spayed and neutered.

Join the Guinea Pig Rescue Transport Group!