[Gpdd] Misc - Guinea Pig Nail Cutting and other matters!

Nicola Atkins sunnyhunny964 at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 10 06:17:01 EST 2004

Hi again all,

Yes! It's me AGAIN with another annoying question (I know I'm always bugging
you all but you are just so knowledgable on piggies, these days I just ask
you guys, and don't even bother with the vets!)

Right - Piggie Nail Clipping. This is a big problem for Harvey and I. I am
loathe to pay for him to go to the vets and have it done when I know I can
do it myself, if he'd just let me. Also, I don't like taking him to the vets
unless I have to because it's quite a way from where we live and last time I
had to borrow a cat carrying box from the vets to bring him up in, which he
HATED!

But he just DOESN'T like me touching his nails, full stop. He hates anyone
going near his paws, as soon as you touch them he just tries to bite you
(and usually succeeds!), even if you just want to look at them, never mind
clip them. I have a tiny pair of clippers especially for the job, and of
course I am gentle with him (and have the common sense to know not to cut
anywhere near the 'red' bit on the nail, as this is where the blood vessels
start), but he just hates it. The vet did it once and he disliked it, but
let him do it reluctantly.

How do I get him to submit for nail cutting time? Is there any tricks I can
use to get him to capitulate? Or maybe just a technique that makes it so
quick and easy that even HE couldn't complain! Please help if any of you can
- this is driving me nuts. His nails are really sharp now and he's
scratching my arm like the devil when I hold him (he always insists on
sitting on the arm of the sofa, nose in the air, and I have to wrap my arm
round the arm of the sofa to support him, as he has a habit of reaching high
up, just stood on his back two paws and craning the rest of his body
upwards, which always makes him overbalance and fall over. It's quite cute
really! But having my arm around him, he always wants to stand or lean on
it, which leaves me covered in scratches, sometimes very deep ones!).

A quick HAPPY BIRTHDAY to all of the piggies celebrating! Gosh, so many of
you all at once! But Harvey sends warm wheeeks (and maybe a snarl or two -
after all, this is Harvey!) to all of his piggy pals celebrating out there!

Thanks also to all who helped with the subject of Piggie Toys - Ebay does
have a good selection and I have my eye on a few bits and bobs as we speak!!

Last but not least - the subject of blue-eyed piggies. Yes, it is pretty
rare, but weirdly enough my very first piggie, Cuddles, had the most
gorgeous blue eyes. In bright light or certain lighting conditions they
looked almost red, but in ture natural light they were the most gorgeous
blue! Harvey has another rarity - his eyes are so dark they are pratically
black - pupils, irises the works. It makes them look huge because the eye
socket is ringed with black too, but sometimes it can look a little
creepy!!! But I guess that's Harvey for you - he's probably been perfecting
his 'scary look' and trying to frighten all and sundry!!

Phew! Another long 'un! SORRY!!!

Wheeps from (psycho)Harvey and love to all piggies from his mama! :-)