[Gpdd] [HEALTH] <locked jaw>

John Catchpole design4 at imaxweb.co.uk
Thu Nov 11 19:27:05 EST 2004

We have a female pig who is 6 years and a few months old.  She lives
like royalty and shares a large hutch/run in a "guinea' shed with her
daughter.  She has always been cared for with no expense spared and has
in the past had an ovarian cyst dispersed with HCG injection.  About a
week ago, she had a similar problem and again had a cyst dispersed in
the same way by an experienced veterinarian.  Prior to the treatment,
she was subdued (unlike her) and following treatment , perked up some.
At the time she was given an anti-inflammatory jab.  But a couple of
days later, she became very subdued with poor mobility and now has had
a second painkiller injection along with a second to stimulate the
digestive system.

Following this further treatment today, we have noticed that her jaw
appears 'locked'.  Gentle pressure cannot open the mouth at all and she
is unable to eat/chew at all.  There is no sign of movement with the
molars and she appear to have this 'frozen' jaw.  Our veterinarian
doesn't have an answer and has never seen such a condition.  Naturally,
she now can't eat or be syringe-fed so we are worried that the
digestive system will shut down if we can't solve this unusual problem,

Has anyone come across this?

John Catchpole