[Gpdd] Announce: New Chinchilla ,Diabetic and Stones Pigs

Dawnda Stricklen dawndastricklen at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 12 07:46:16 EST 2004

Hi Leah

I named my new chinchilla Duncan. He hasn't been
messed with much, but he is coming up to me now and he
lets me scratch him behind his ears.
His former owner had been feeding him bulk rabbit
pellets instead of chinchilla pellets because it was
so much cheaper. He's on chinchilla delight from Oxbow
hay now. They are suppose to have one raisin a day ad
she had a whole handful in his cage. She had him in a
2-story cage with 1 male and 3 females. Needless to
say, his ears are all torn up from fights with the
other male. She had sold all the rest of them but him.
I am now wondering if the rabbit pellets didn't have
enough calcium in them for a chinchilla. He broke his
leg last Sunday. I felt horrible for him. I had to
call my vet in and drive him and hour and a half one
way to his office. He bit me twice and Dr. Patton
once, but he was in pain. He was eating hay and
playing in the guinea pig room when I went to unfold
some newspapers. When I went back in to change his
cage he had a broken leg. I have no idea how he did.
Dr Patton had to put him under with some gas to put
the little green soft cast on him. His leg is sticking
out to the side. He had to wrap it up to the hip
because the break was above the knee. Now he is on
Metacam for pain, but he is getting used to the cast
now. It has to stay on for four weeks. I had to put
him in a small cage to keep him out of his wheel and
on one level.
He still wants to jump and climb when he is out. My
husband built him some steps with a little house in
the bottom part so he could get on top of the boys'
cage and over to the bottom bookself. He was
relentless in trying to get up their. A one track
mind. I didn't want him to break another leg trying to
get up their with a cast on.
Sabrina and Jasmine was just up to the vet on Friday.
Sabrina has small stones again. She is on antibiotics
and Metacam for pain. Jasmine was drinking a lot of
water. Her glucose was OK Friday, but he had me bring
her back up for a test Sunday with Duncan and her
glucose was up. He said I could probably control her
Diabetes with a diet change. She loves fruit too. Poor
Jasmine. She is on a round of antibiotics too. I feel
like a med nurse on rounds morning and evening now.
It's been a stressful few days and it costs me
$325.00. I figured it would be more though with all
the blood work,x-rays, and medicine on the 3. With all
the driving and time in the office, it took 10 hours
for all of this.

Dawnda

=====
http://embark.to/guineapighaven