[Gpdd] [CARE] New Guinea Pig Owner

Lisa Schoenhals schoenhals at shaw.ca
Mon Nov 15 17:08:56 EST 2004

Hi All:

I am a new guinea pig owner.  We have 2 baby girls, Autumn and Clover they are about 5 - 6 months old.  Although I had two Guinea pigs when I was younger I have a few concerns.  We have a homemade wooden cage for them, I am looking for some suggestions for bedding.  I have heard that wood shavings are not good for them.  I have looked at the Aspen shavings and the Carefresh but they are both expensive.  Do you have any suggestions?  Also since I brought them home they have not seemed to figure out the water bottle yet.  They used to have a water bowl.  Any suggestions on how you get them used to a bottle?  My last and final concern for today is they have a nice wooden house, I find that they want to spend all their time in there.  I basically have to take the house out just to get them to come out and eat.  Is this normal?  We have only had the guinea pigs for 3 days.

A proud mother of two piggies.