[Gpdd] [BREEDING] <re: My sow is pregnant for the first time>

petunia_loo at yahoo.com petunia_loo at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 15 18:12:15 EST 2004

That seems to happen a lot. Here are some good links
for starters:
http://www.guinealynx.info/breeding.html
You'll need to sex them and seperate them at three
weeks:
http://www.cavyspirit.com/sexing.htm

If you're absolutely *sure* your females are females,
then I believe it is ok for them to be together.
However, since she's new, if you think that they are
causing her stress, I would move her to her own cage.
Other sows are often good caretakers of the babies.
Make sure she has plenty of room with the four of
them, and her own hidey spot might make her feel more
comfortable!

It's important that she get some exercise while
pregnant to reduce the risk of pregnancy toxemia. She
will need a plenty large cage, and you can put the
water and food on opposite sides of the cage just to
make sure she is keeping active. I have heard that
it's not good to pick them up or handle them too much
when they are pregnant. Normal gestation is about 70
days.

She will need an alfalfa-based pellet (unlike the
timothy hay-based pellets for normal adults) up
through the period she is lactating. Oxbow makes Cavy
Performance food for pregnant/lactating pigs and pigs
under 6-8 months old. www.oxbowhay.com Make sure she
is getting plenty of vitamin C through fresh veggies
as well.

Make sure to check out those links!
~Lauren, Piglet and Pooh

=====
EACH YEAR in the United States, MILLIONS of healthy companion animals are euthanized simply because they can not find homes.
Adopt a homeless pet.
Become a foster home.
Have your cats and dogs spayed and neutered.

Join the Guinea Pig Rescue Transport Group!