[Gpdd] Care: Re: BITING THE CAGE

Leah McNeil lconsuela at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 16 08:08:12 EST 2004

Sarah,
I know Exactly what you're going through.
My very first piggie, Amberlea did the same
thing and it was so annoying. I lived by
myself in a tiny, little studio apartment
(right after college) and slept on a small
futon couch/bed. And I kept Amberlea's cage
right beside me. Well, when I was home, I
always let him run around and he was a very
good boy. We would play together and he
Loved being cuddled. So, anyways, when it
was time to go to bed, I would put him back
in his cage. And well, one night, he decided
that he wasn't having that! He wanted to
stay out of his cage.

So, for the next couple of nights, that
Crazy pig was keeping me up half the night
with his Wild BITING of the cage.
And Mama was getting No Sleep! So, after a
few nights, I decided to give him some
negative reinforcement. I thought of the
One thing that he hated and decided to act.
He hated my clock radio cuz the music would
freak him out for some reason. So, when he
started biting the cage, I turned on the
radio and then he would stop. So, I did that
for a few nights and then finally, he stopped
biting the cage. Mission Accomplished.

Now, that was before we had those nasty-tasting
products available that you can put on the
cage bars to discourage the biting. I bought
some Best Behavior Chew Deterrent (made by
Nature's Miracle) from Bunnybytes.com
recently. Because both my Brownie Bear and
Butterscotch were starting to chew on the
colorplast part of their cages. And I don't
really know if it worked because a couple of
days after I started using it, I put them
together in the same cage. The reason they
were chewing on their cages was because they
were trying to get attention from each other.
So, now that they are together, they are not
as interested in biting the cage.

I hope I have been of some help!!

      Love 'n Wheeeeeeeeeeeps,
         Leah...Slave to BB & BS :-)

--Remembering ALWAYS my Loyal Amberlea
       at the Bridge--
Hay all
HELP!! What is the best way to stop a g-pig from
bitting their cage? Bear decided that he likes to
bite his cage in the middle of the night and he is
LOUD!! and his cage is my bedroom right now (will
be moved later) b/c of space restrections in the
new house.

                   Thanks
            Sarah and the rugpigs