[Gpdd] [Health] <re: Question of how to diet only piggy>

petunia_loo at yahoo.com petunia_loo at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 17 15:53:13 EST 2004

Hi Rebecca and pigs,
I love the image of Phoebe with her legs sticking in
the air!! I actually think it would be ok if you
limited all of the pigs' rations. I know Oxbow pellets
recommend that you only give a certain set amount of
pellets daily, depending on your pig's size. When I
acquired two underweight piggies recently, I fed them
free-choice pellets. But my Piglet and Pooh are rather
plump and only get between 1/8-1/4cup of pellets daily
in addition to unlimited hay and their veggies.
I haven't had experience with elderly boars so I'm not
sure about if diet changes are usually made for them.
I would think that if Henry did ever start losing
weight, then it would more likely indicate some
underlying problem, and not just old age. I wouldn't
think that reducing the amount of pellets they get
would have a harmful effect on the two "normal" sized
pigs. It's just my opinion of course. Perhaps you have
a good vet who you could run it by?
Wheeeks,
Lauren, Pig and Pooh

=====
EACH YEAR in the United States, MILLIONS of healthy companion animals are euthanized simply because they can not find homes.
Adopt a homeless pet.
Become a foster home.
Have your cats and dogs spayed and neutered.

Join the Guinea Pig Rescue Transport Group!